Syrian FM stresses right to respond to Israeli attack
Damascus: Syria`s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem on Monday underlined his country`s right to respond to the Israeli attack against the Syrian military sites in the capital Damascus earlier this week, reported Xinhua citing the state-run SANA news agency.
In a phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, al-Moallem stressed "Syria`s right to respond to the Israeli criminal aggression in accordance to the international law and the United Nations` charters".
According to SANA, al-Moallem told Lavrov that the Israeli attack "mirrors the nature of goals that link Israel with the armed terrorist groups in Syria".
On his part, Lavrov briefed al-Moallem on efforts exerted by Russia to stop the deterioration of the situation in the Middle East region following the Israeli attack.
Lavrov underlined the importance of concerted efforts to prevent the escalation of the situation and to curb the tension.
In the meantime, Syria`s Interior Minister Mohammad al-Shaar underlined Syria`s ability to defend its territories and sovereignty and to deter any aggression at any time.
He stressed that Syria will keep moving ahead to "purge the Syrian soil of the dirt of terrorists and outlaws".
Before dawn on Sunday, Israel launched airstrikes against a number of Syrian army facilities in Damascus, mainly at a military research centre in the capital`s suburb of Jamraya.
The Syrian government slammed the attack, saying it "opens the door wide for all eventualities".
Yet, no accurate assessment of the damages and casualties has been released yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!