Syrian FM stresses right to respond to Israeli attack
Damascus: Syria`s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem on Monday underlined his country`s right to respond to the Israeli attack against the Syrian military sites in the capital Damascus earlier this week, reported Xinhua citing the state-run SANA news agency.
In a phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, al-Moallem stressed "Syria`s right to respond to the Israeli criminal aggression in accordance to the international law and the United Nations` charters".
According to SANA, al-Moallem told Lavrov that the Israeli attack "mirrors the nature of goals that link Israel with the armed terrorist groups in Syria".
On his part, Lavrov briefed al-Moallem on efforts exerted by Russia to stop the deterioration of the situation in the Middle East region following the Israeli attack.
Lavrov underlined the importance of concerted efforts to prevent the escalation of the situation and to curb the tension.
In the meantime, Syria`s Interior Minister Mohammad al-Shaar underlined Syria`s ability to defend its territories and sovereignty and to deter any aggression at any time.
He stressed that Syria will keep moving ahead to "purge the Syrian soil of the dirt of terrorists and outlaws".
Before dawn on Sunday, Israel launched airstrikes against a number of Syrian army facilities in Damascus, mainly at a military research centre in the capital`s suburb of Jamraya.
The Syrian government slammed the attack, saying it "opens the door wide for all eventualities".
Yet, no accurate assessment of the damages and casualties has been released yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh