Syrian FM stresses right to respond to Israeli attack
Damascus: Syria`s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem on Monday underlined his country`s right to respond to the Israeli attack against the Syrian military sites in the capital Damascus earlier this week, reported Xinhua citing the state-run SANA news agency.
In a phone call with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, al-Moallem stressed "Syria`s right to respond to the Israeli criminal aggression in accordance to the international law and the United Nations` charters".
According to SANA, al-Moallem told Lavrov that the Israeli attack "mirrors the nature of goals that link Israel with the armed terrorist groups in Syria".
On his part, Lavrov briefed al-Moallem on efforts exerted by Russia to stop the deterioration of the situation in the Middle East region following the Israeli attack.
Lavrov underlined the importance of concerted efforts to prevent the escalation of the situation and to curb the tension.
In the meantime, Syria`s Interior Minister Mohammad al-Shaar underlined Syria`s ability to defend its territories and sovereignty and to deter any aggression at any time.
He stressed that Syria will keep moving ahead to "purge the Syrian soil of the dirt of terrorists and outlaws".
Before dawn on Sunday, Israel launched airstrikes against a number of Syrian army facilities in Damascus, mainly at a military research centre in the capital`s suburb of Jamraya.
The Syrian government slammed the attack, saying it "opens the door wide for all eventualities".
Yet, no accurate assessment of the damages and casualties has been released yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader