Syrian forces kill 14 as anti-regime demos spread
Damascus: Syrian forces killed 14 people
on Friday, activists said as protesters piled pressure on the
regime to quit while the EU tightened the noose on Damascus by
slapping it with an oil embargo.
Activists reported "huge demonstrations" after weekly
Muslim prayers in response to calls from an Internet group
that urged rallies against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime
under the banner "death rather than humiliation".
France also announced plans to further isolate Assad,
saying it would boost contacts with the opposition, echoing
calls from Spain for international support for the opponents
of the embattled president.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said eight
people were killed when security forces intervened to disperse
protests in several suburbs of Damascus including Douma and
Three other people died in rebellious Homs province
and three in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor, said the
Britain-based Observatory which earlier reported that a
16-year-old girl was killed in Erbeen and a civilian in
Talbisseh, in the province of Homs.
Several people were also reportedly wounded, some in
critical condition, when security forces opened fire on the
protesters, activists said.
Syrian state television reported, meanwhile, that
security forces killed two armed men after coming under attack
The official SANA news agency said three members of
the security forces were killed "by armed terrorist groups who
attacked them in Talbisseh, Erbeen and Hammuriyeh (also a
The agency also reported four assailants were killed
in the confrontations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand