Syrian forces kill 3, tanks enter coastal city
Damascus: Armoured vehicles entered the port
city of Latakia and a village near Lebanon on Saturday, activists
said, causing residents to flee as the West seeks ways to
pressure Damascus to end the violence.
"Military vehicles including tanks and armoured personnel
carriers converged on the southern district of Al-Ramleh" in
Latakia, a statement by the Britain-based Syrian Observatory
for Human Rights said.
"At 10:30 am heavy gunfire could be heard" in Al-Ramleh,
which was at the heart of a "large demonstration calling for
the fall of (President Bashar al-) Assad`s regime."
The Observatory said the arrival of troops sparked the
exodus of a large number of residents, especially women and
It also reported a "wave of arrests" in Latakia on
An activist in the central region of Homs said troops
backed by two tanks entered the village of Jussiyeh which
borders Lebanon, triggering a stampede across the frontier and
to neighbouring areas.
Military vehicles, meanwhile, swooped on the town of
Qusayr, also in Homs province, where security and intelligence
services launched an arrest campaign.
"No one was spared. Not even women or children," said
Security forces backed by tanks have been crushing
dissent city by city and town by town since pro-democracy
protests erupted in mid-March.
The Observatory says 2,150 people have been confirmed
dead since then -- 1,744 civilians and 406 members of the
Activists said at least 16 people were killed on
Friday when security forces opened fire on thousands of
anti-regime protesters rallied in flashpoint cities after the
Ramadan weekly prayers.
State television said "two security agents were shot
dead by armed men in Douma," a suburb of the capital.
The UN Security Council is to hold a special meeting
next Thursday to discuss human rights and the humanitarian
emergency in Syria, diplomats at the United Nations said.
In a Twitter statement, France`s UN mission said UN
Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay and UN under secretary
for humanitarian affairs Valerie Amos, will brief the meeting.
As the West grapples with ways to pressure Damascus
into ending the bloodshed, US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton urged countries to stop trading with Syria.
"We urge those countries still buying Syrian oil and
gas, those countries still sending Assad weapons... to get on
the right side of history," Clinton told reporters.
In an interview with CBS News, she suggested that
China and India impose energy sanctions on Syria, and urged
Russia to stop selling arms to Damascus.
She also urged the Europeans to impose energy
"President Assad has lost the legitimacy to lead and
it is clear that Syria would be better off without him,"
Clinton told a news conference with Norwegian Foreign Minister
Jonas Gahr Stoere.
But she stopped short of explicitly urging Assad to
step down -- a call which US officials have said President
Barack Obama`s administration has decided to make, although it
has not finalised the timing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow