Syrian General en route to France after defecting
Paris: French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Friday announced that the top Syrian General, who defected from the regime led by Bashar al-Assad, is on his way to Paris.
Earlier, reports said that Brigadier Manaf Tlas, a senior commander in the elite Republican Guard, fled to Turkey.
A ‘Friends of Syria’ conference is taking place in the French capital.
The desertion of Brigadier Manaf Tlas, a senior commander in the elite Republican Guard, has dealt a humiliating personal blow to Assad and represents a major scalp for the opposition.
Brigadier Tlas was once a close confidante of the President, serving as a member of Assad’s small inner circle and the central committee of the Syria`s Ba`ath Party.
According to The Telegraph, a pro-government website Syriasteps, with links to the Syrian security services confirmed the defection, saying that Brigadier Tlas had fled to Turkey, but played down the impact of the development.
“His escape does not mean anything,” a security official was quoted by the website as saying.
According to opposition sources, 15 brigadiers have joined rebels camped near the border in recent months.
But Brig Tlas is by far the most significant of these defectors, the paper said.
The defection could prompt other members of the Sunni elite who have remained loyal to the President to follow suit.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued