Syrian govt planning talks with Opposition: Russia
Moscow: The Syrian government is preparing for an immediate political dialogue with the Opposition, according to Russian Foreign Ministry.
During his talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov here Tuesday, visiting Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil stressed that the preparedness of Damascus for "the immediate engagement in the joint work aimed at consent among all the Syrians", Xinhua quoted the Foreign Ministry as saying in a statement.
The two sides also exchanged views in details on the settlement to the 18-month long Syrian crisis, with both sides expressing the interest in an earliest end to the violence in the country.
"They stressed there was no alternative to the settlement based on the UN Security Council resolutions, the Kofi Annan plan and the Geneva agreements," the ministry said.
Both sides also expressed the hope that newly appointed UN- Arab League special envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi would carry out his mission on the basis of the coordinated roadmap of the Syrian settlement, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead