Syrian govt planning talks with Opposition: Russia
Moscow: The Syrian government is preparing for an immediate political dialogue with the Opposition, according to Russian Foreign Ministry.
During his talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov here Tuesday, visiting Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil stressed that the preparedness of Damascus for "the immediate engagement in the joint work aimed at consent among all the Syrians", Xinhua quoted the Foreign Ministry as saying in a statement.
The two sides also exchanged views in details on the settlement to the 18-month long Syrian crisis, with both sides expressing the interest in an earliest end to the violence in the country.
"They stressed there was no alternative to the settlement based on the UN Security Council resolutions, the Kofi Annan plan and the Geneva agreements," the ministry said.
Both sides also expressed the hope that newly appointed UN- Arab League special envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi would carry out his mission on the basis of the coordinated roadmap of the Syrian settlement, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing