Syrian helicopter downed in Damascus clashes
Beirut: An activist group says a Syrian military helicopter caught fire and crashed after it was apparently hit during fighting between government forces and rebels in Damascus.
Syria`s state television said a helicopter crashed on Monday in Damascus but gave no details.
A video posted on the Internet showed the helicopter engulfed in flames shortly before it hit the ground.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which reported the crash, earlier said that fighting between troops backed by helicopter gunships and rebels was taking place in the Damascus neighbourhood of Jobar.
The Syrian conflict began 17 months ago with mostly peaceful protests demanding that President Bashar Assad step down, but it has since morphed into a civil war. Rights activists say at least 20,000 people have been killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'