Syrian helicopter downed in Damascus clashes
Beirut: An activist group says a Syrian military helicopter caught fire and crashed after it was apparently hit during fighting between government forces and rebels in Damascus.
Syria`s state television said a helicopter crashed on Monday in Damascus but gave no details.
A video posted on the Internet showed the helicopter engulfed in flames shortly before it hit the ground.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which reported the crash, earlier said that fighting between troops backed by helicopter gunships and rebels was taking place in the Damascus neighbourhood of Jobar.
The Syrian conflict began 17 months ago with mostly peaceful protests demanding that President Bashar Assad step down, but it has since morphed into a civil war. Rights activists say at least 20,000 people have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...