Syrian helicopter downed in Damascus clashes
Beirut: An activist group says a Syrian military helicopter caught fire and crashed after it was apparently hit during fighting between government forces and rebels in Damascus.
Syria`s state television said a helicopter crashed on Monday in Damascus but gave no details.
A video posted on the Internet showed the helicopter engulfed in flames shortly before it hit the ground.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which reported the crash, earlier said that fighting between troops backed by helicopter gunships and rebels was taking place in the Damascus neighbourhood of Jobar.
The Syrian conflict began 17 months ago with mostly peaceful protests demanding that President Bashar Assad step down, but it has since morphed into a civil war. Rights activists say at least 20,000 people have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender