Syrian military helicopter near Damascus shot down by rebels?
Damascus: A military helicopter came crashing down in Douma suburb, east of Syrian capital Damascus, Syrian state television reported Thursday.
So far, none of the rebel groups has claimed gunning down of the helicopter, but in past, Syrian regime aircrafts have been shot down by the rebels, raising the possibility of their role behind the crash.
In the first week of September, rebels said they shot down a MiG aircraft in Abu al-Dhuhour, an area in the northwestern province of Idlib.
On August 27, Syrian rebels had claimed gunning down a helicopter on Damascus outskirts.
Earlier on August 13, rebels claimed to have shot down a regime MiG-23 warplane and captured the pilot in Deir el-Zour.
Syrian regime has been increasingly using helicopters and other aircrafts against the rebels in the 18-month-old conflict.
Rebels have claimed to have shot down helicopters and warplanes in the past, although the regime has blamed most of the problems on mechanical difficulties.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof