Syrian National Council meets to elect new chief
Damascus: The opposition Syrian National Council has started here the process to elect a new leader after Burhan Ghalioun resigned last month due to mounting criticism from the member groups.
A total of 43 representatives, including Ghalioun, are meeting in Istanbul, Turkey`s coastal city, to elect the next person to head the organization that united seven Syrian opposition groups overseas.
A spokesman of the council told Xinhua that the result of the election is expected to come out Saturday evening.
Ghalioun was re-elected as chairman of the 300-member coalition in May, but resigned from the post on May 17 after some member groups accused him of monopolizing power.
The Syrian National Council was formed in Istanbul in September 2011. It has been a strong force challenging the Syrian government ``s rule over its handling of domestic protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj