Syrian official says Assad regime ‘has already won’
Washington: A member of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government has declared that they have ‘already won’ and the rebellions have failed.
Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal al-Maqdad in an interview that the battle is going very well for the regime.
According to CNN, when asked if al-Assad would give up power if he were voted out, al-Maqdad said, ‘absolutely, he would do so’, but he also assured that Assad still enjoys a ‘majority in Syria’.
But rebel leaders and fighters see it differently, the report said.
A suicide attack at a regime military facility left at least 20 soldiers dead this week in Homs, and just last week government forces were using artillery and planes against rebels in the capital`s southern suburbs.
According to the report, Al-Maqdad defended the regime`s shelling, calling it a reaction to the opposition`s violence.
He said that the Assad’s regime ‘is demanding to stop to all these actions and to come to the table where we discuss all our grievances together.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation