Syrian opposition coalition to open office in Turkey
Ankara: The Syrian opposition coalition --National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces (SNCROF) -- will soon open its office in Istanbul, according to Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
Turkey recognised the SNCROF as "the sole legitimate representative of the people of Syria" Nov 15.
"The office will be opened in the near future, and we will stay in close contact with its head as a recognised representative of the Syrian people and opposition," Davutoglu said Friday after a meeting with Moaz al-Khatib, the head of the new opposition coalition.
The coalition, formed at talks in Qatar, claims to represent 80 percent of all opponents of embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Davutoglu reiterated Turkey`s support of the Syrian opposition both in Syria and on the international arena.
The Assad regime has been engaged in a bloody-conflict with anti-government rebel forces since March 2011. According to UN estimates, around 30,000 people have been killed since the violence began.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt