Syrian opposition denies targeting Russians
Dubai: Syria`s opposition coalition has denied it has declared "open season" on Russian nationals.
It denied ever declaring "any Russian citizen a target" of the Syrian revolution for supporting the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
"Such declarations do not reflect the opinion or policy of the coalition, and are in conflict with the principles and goals of the Syrian revolution," the opposition coalition said in a statement.
"While condemning the Russian government`s policy and position on political and military support for Assad`s regime, the National Coalition states unequivocally that the Russian leadership alone bears the entire responsibility for its actions and Russian citizens are not to blame for that," it said.
"As the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the coalition condemns any attacks on innocent civilians regardless of their nationality," the statement said.
Earlier, Haitham al-Maleh, a leader of the Syrian opposition abroad, told Al Jazeera that Russians are a "legitimate" target for Syrian militants since Russia supports Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui