Syrian opposition denies targeting Russians
Dubai: Syria`s opposition coalition has denied it has declared "open season" on Russian nationals.
It denied ever declaring "any Russian citizen a target" of the Syrian revolution for supporting the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
"Such declarations do not reflect the opinion or policy of the coalition, and are in conflict with the principles and goals of the Syrian revolution," the opposition coalition said in a statement.
"While condemning the Russian government`s policy and position on political and military support for Assad`s regime, the National Coalition states unequivocally that the Russian leadership alone bears the entire responsibility for its actions and Russian citizens are not to blame for that," it said.
"As the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people, the coalition condemns any attacks on innocent civilians regardless of their nationality," the statement said.
Earlier, Haitham al-Maleh, a leader of the Syrian opposition abroad, told Al Jazeera that Russians are a "legitimate" target for Syrian militants since Russia supports Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened