Syrian opposition flag unfurled at Eiffel Tower
Paris: A giant flag of the Syrian opposition was Friday unfurled on construction scaffolding under the legs of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
According to weekly French newsmagazine Le Nouvel Observateur, the 7-by-30 metre green-white-black tricolour with three stars on the white stripe - and speckled with simulated blood stains - was attached by activists of the "France Syria Democracy" organisation.
The organisation campaigns for a foreign military intervention to topple President Bashar al-Assad.
"The international community, through its inaction, becomes an accomplice of al-Assad. It`s time to act," said organisation president Ismael Hashem, one of the two climbers who attached the flag.
"Thousands of people were killed by Assad`s bullets. This is because the international community is doing nothing," he said.
About a dozen campaigners held banners condemning the Assad regime.
Police cordoned off the area and ordered tourists to evacuate the tower. Hashem and another climber were detained by police.
The Syrian opposition uses the flag of the Syrian Republic (1930-1958), which was also the flag of the Syrian Arab Republic in 1961-1963.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'