Syrian opposition leader calls for `means to fight` Assad
Paris: Leader of the Syrian opposition Ahmad Jarba called on the "free world" to provide "the means to fight" the regime of President Bashar al-Assad and jihadist rebels, as the conflict entered its fourth year on Friday.
An article attributed to Jarba on the website of French newspaper Le Monde said: "Nothing and no one was able -- or willing -- to save the Syrian people, either from Assad`s missiles and bombs, or from torture and death in his dungeons, or from suffocation and asphyxiation by chemical weapons."
Despite the loss of 146,000 lives and the millions displaced, Jarba said Assad had "failed to crush the revolution" and "would never succeed".
He called on the international community to finally provide the military backing to oust the regime.
"The time has come for the free world to help the Syrians to escape their isolation. They should provide the means to fight Bashar al-Assad, and the jihadists that he has done so much to attract."
However, an English-language version of the article released the previous day, made no direct request for military support, a possible reflection of France`s greater willingness to engage in military operations in recent years.
France has intervened in Mali and Central African Republic in the past year, and supported direct strikes in Syria last summer following reports that Assad had used chemical weapons.
"Even if the international community (doesn`t) have a moral obligation to help the Syrian people, it must act to contain the catastrophe now seeping across every one of Syria`s borders, if only for its own interests", the English version concludes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'