Syrian opposition meets to boost protests
Beirut: About 200 Syrian opposition members
have met outside the capital, Damascus, in a significant
gathering of dissidents on Syrian soil.
The Syrian opposition consists of a variety of groups
with often differing ideologies, including Islamists and
secularists, and there have been many meetings of dissidents
who say they represent the opposition. But yesterday`s meeting
was unusual in part because it was held inside Syria, rather
than neighbouring countries.
A news conference was planned for today.
The Syrian uprising began in mid-March, amid a wave of
protests in the Arab world that toppled autocrats in Tunisia,
Egypt and Libya. Syrian President Bashar Assad has reacted
with deadly force that the UN estimates has left some 2,600
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender