Syrian opposition meets to boost protests
Beirut: About 200 Syrian opposition members
have met outside the capital, Damascus, in a significant
gathering of dissidents on Syrian soil.
The Syrian opposition consists of a variety of groups
with often differing ideologies, including Islamists and
secularists, and there have been many meetings of dissidents
who say they represent the opposition. But yesterday`s meeting
was unusual in part because it was held inside Syria, rather
than neighbouring countries.
A news conference was planned for today.
The Syrian uprising began in mid-March, amid a wave of
protests in the Arab world that toppled autocrats in Tunisia,
Egypt and Libya. Syrian President Bashar Assad has reacted
with deadly force that the UN estimates has left some 2,600
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!