Syrian opposition members form national council
Beirut: A Syrian dissident says some members of the opposition have formed a national council with the aim of presenting a united front for the fragmented movement opposing President Bashar Assad.
Obeida al-Nahhas spoke by phone from Istanbul, Turkey, where a group of regime opponents have been meeting for several days. He refused to discuss details of the council, saying they are still being worked out.
The Syrian uprising began more than five months ago. Assad`s regime has been shaken but is in no imminent danger of falling. The protest movement has been working to form a united voice, but infighting has slowed the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad