Syrian opposition members form national council
Beirut: A Syrian dissident says some members of the opposition have formed a national council with the aim of presenting a united front for the fragmented movement opposing President Bashar Assad.
Obeida al-Nahhas spoke by phone from Istanbul, Turkey, where a group of regime opponents have been meeting for several days. He refused to discuss details of the council, saying they are still being worked out.
The Syrian uprising began more than five months ago. Assad`s regime has been shaken but is in no imminent danger of falling. The protest movement has been working to form a united voice, but infighting has slowed the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened