Syrian opposition rejects Russian chemical weapons experts
Dubai: The National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces have opposed Russian experts investigating a possible use of chemical weapons in the country.
Last month, the Syrian government and rebels accused each other of using chemical weapons in an incident in Khan al-Assal in Aleppo province.
According to the coalition, Russia "is the main supplier of standard and strategic weapons to the Syrian regime as well as its main political guarantor of staying in power".
“This is why Russia has no status enabling it to conduct a just and unbiased criminal investigation,” the coalition said in a statement.
The White House said earlier it had physiological samples indicating that the deadly chemical agent sarin was used on two occasions in the Syrian war, which has claimed at least 70,000 lives and displaced millions in just over two years.
The Syrian opposition has claimed that Bashar Assad`s forces used chemical weapons in two locations near Damascus March 19, as well as in the city of Homs Dec 23.
A confirmation of these reports could bring the international community closer to direct military intervention in the Syrian conflict, which is threatening to spill over the borders to neighboring countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley