Syrian President appoints new PM after defection
Beirut: Amid raging conflict between Syrian government troops and rebels in the city of Aleppo, President Bashar al-Assad on Thursday appointed new Prime Minister to replace the one who defected.
Reports claim that Assad has appointed Health Minister Wael al-Halki as new Prime Minister.
Riyad Hijab defected as Prime Minister and crossed into Jordan at dawn on Wednesday after two days of hiding inside his homeland.
Halki, born in 1964, is from the southern province of Deraa where the 17-month-old uprising against Assad erupted. He replaces caretaker Premier Omar Ghalawanji who was appointed hours after Hijab`s defection.
Meanwhile, the fighting continues a day after the Syrian regime claimed in state-run media that its forces have fully regained control of Salaheddine.
The Local Coordination Committees and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Thursday`s shelling was most focused on Salaheddine, as well as a northeast district and areas in the city`s southwest.
Syria launched a ground assault on Wednesday on rebel-held areas of Aleppo, the country`s largest city and key commercial hub.
The regime`s blistering attacks on rebel positions in recent weeks seem to have chipped away at the opposition`s grip on its strongholds in the city.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why