Syrian pro-government activists protest UN inaction
Damascus: A group of activists here Thursday held a sit-in before the UN headquarters to express discontent to what they called "UN inaction" on the rebels` attacks in some Syrian cities.
Hoisting Syrian flags, dozens of activists protested before the UN headquarters in al-Mazzeh district, western Damascus, Xinhua reported.
They said there was "inaction and lack of condemnation" from the UN toward the rebels` attacks, particularly the latest one which targeted Adra Umaliyeh city north of Damascus.
"We are here to say that we are fed up with the UN`s silence toward the crimes that have been taking place in Syria, especially the ones committed in Adra Umaliyeh. So how long are they going to remain silent and do nothing about the crimes?" Taif Ali, a pro-government activist said during the sit-in.
Rebels from an Al Qaeda linked groups stormed Adra Umaliyeh last month and started sectarian-motivated mass killing against the Alawite minority, an offshoot of Shiite Islam to which the ruling elites in Syria belong.
The Syrian Army has been besieging the city where the rebels have entrenched in residential areas and taken civilians as human shields, according to state media.
Yet, the military forces evacuated about 10,000 people from Adra, a city of 100,000 residents, who are largely government supporters.
Syrian Minister of Social Affairs Kinda Shammat said recently that her ministry hasn`t been contacted by any international organization regarding the situation in Adra.
The silence of the international community has pushed several pro-government activist groups to gather before the UN headquarters to protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued