Syrian pro-government activists protest UN inaction
Damascus: A group of activists here Thursday held a sit-in before the UN headquarters to express discontent to what they called "UN inaction" on the rebels` attacks in some Syrian cities.
Hoisting Syrian flags, dozens of activists protested before the UN headquarters in al-Mazzeh district, western Damascus, Xinhua reported.
They said there was "inaction and lack of condemnation" from the UN toward the rebels` attacks, particularly the latest one which targeted Adra Umaliyeh city north of Damascus.
"We are here to say that we are fed up with the UN`s silence toward the crimes that have been taking place in Syria, especially the ones committed in Adra Umaliyeh. So how long are they going to remain silent and do nothing about the crimes?" Taif Ali, a pro-government activist said during the sit-in.
Rebels from an Al Qaeda linked groups stormed Adra Umaliyeh last month and started sectarian-motivated mass killing against the Alawite minority, an offshoot of Shiite Islam to which the ruling elites in Syria belong.
The Syrian Army has been besieging the city where the rebels have entrenched in residential areas and taken civilians as human shields, according to state media.
Yet, the military forces evacuated about 10,000 people from Adra, a city of 100,000 residents, who are largely government supporters.
Syrian Minister of Social Affairs Kinda Shammat said recently that her ministry hasn`t been contacted by any international organization regarding the situation in Adra.
The silence of the international community has pushed several pro-government activist groups to gather before the UN headquarters to protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand