Syrian pro-government activists protest UN inaction
Damascus: A group of activists here Thursday held a sit-in before the UN headquarters to express discontent to what they called "UN inaction" on the rebels` attacks in some Syrian cities.
Hoisting Syrian flags, dozens of activists protested before the UN headquarters in al-Mazzeh district, western Damascus, Xinhua reported.
They said there was "inaction and lack of condemnation" from the UN toward the rebels` attacks, particularly the latest one which targeted Adra Umaliyeh city north of Damascus.
"We are here to say that we are fed up with the UN`s silence toward the crimes that have been taking place in Syria, especially the ones committed in Adra Umaliyeh. So how long are they going to remain silent and do nothing about the crimes?" Taif Ali, a pro-government activist said during the sit-in.
Rebels from an Al Qaeda linked groups stormed Adra Umaliyeh last month and started sectarian-motivated mass killing against the Alawite minority, an offshoot of Shiite Islam to which the ruling elites in Syria belong.
The Syrian Army has been besieging the city where the rebels have entrenched in residential areas and taken civilians as human shields, according to state media.
Yet, the military forces evacuated about 10,000 people from Adra, a city of 100,000 residents, who are largely government supporters.
Syrian Minister of Social Affairs Kinda Shammat said recently that her ministry hasn`t been contacted by any international organization regarding the situation in Adra.
The silence of the international community has pushed several pro-government activist groups to gather before the UN headquarters to protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Pullela Gopichand is good, but we will find a better coach for PV Sindhu: Telangana deputy CM Mohammed Mahmood Ali
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez
- Oil Tankers Association calls off strike in Jammu ?
- French Chevalier award winner Kamal Haasan is Sivaji of our generation: Rajinikanth
- 'Mohenjo Daro' collections: Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde's period drama rakes in Rs 55 cr so far!