Syrian rebels breach truce
Damascus: Syrian rebels in the city of Homs breached a truce with government troops by firing multiple mortar shells at a police office building, media reports quoted Governor Talal Barazi as saying Saturday.
The attack at New Clock Square Saturday morning came only a day after the UN-mediated truce went into effect, Xinhua reported citing the official SANA news agency.
The truce was intended for evacuation of civilians from the old quarters of the city to government-run shelters.
The attack has apparently led to some material losses.
Barazi said orders of self-restraint were issued to the commanders on the ground to ensure the evacuation process.
In another report, Barazi told pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV Saturday that the Syrian authorities are ready to provide aid for people reluctant to leave their homes.
He also said part of the UN team mediating the truce was still inside the old city to secure the entry of aid trucks to the besieged people, adding the team was surprised to find explosive devices planted by armed groups on their way.
A total of 83 women, children and elderly civilians were evacuated in the first batch Friday and many more were to leave within the next few days, as up to 2,500 people are believed to be trapped in the rebel-held city, part of which have been under government troops` siege since June 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you