Syrian rebels capture key town near Jordan border
Beirut: Activists say Syrian rebels have captured a strategic town near the border with Jordan after a day of fierce battles that killed 38 people.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says 16 rebels were among the dead in the fighting in and around Dael that ended early on Friday.
The town lies only miles from the Jordanian border in Daraa province where the uprising against President Bashar Assad`s regime began in 2011.
The region is considered a gateway to Damascus. Clashes there have recently intensified as rebels try to push on to the Syrian capital.
The battle for Dael came as a mortar attack on Damascus University killed at least 10 students yesterday. The UN says Syria`s civil war has killed more than 70,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur