Syrian rebels proclaim ‘beginning of end’ for Assad’s regime
Damascus: Syrian opposition groups have proclaimed ‘the beginning of the end’ for President Bashar al-Assad’s regime following a bomb attack in Damascus, which killed three of his closest allies.
The bomb exploded inside the headquarters of Syria’s national security council as officials convened a meeting of the ``crisis cell’ set up to crush the 16-month uprising against the president’s rule.
Syria’s state-run media confirmed the fatalities included Gen Daoud Rajha, the defence minister, Gen Hassan Turkmani, assistant to the vice-president and head of the crisis cell, The Telegraph reports.
Also killed in the deadly attack was Assef Shawkat, the husband of Assad’s sister who was referred to by some Syrians as their “second president”.
According to the paper, Syrian rebels seemed convinced that a turning point had been reached in the civil war.
The Free Syrian Army, which had predicted an imminent “surprise” on the eve of the attack, claimed that its assault on the capital, named “Damascus Volcano”, would take them to the verge of victory.
“This is the volcano we talked about; we have just started. We have smashed the inner circle of Bashar,” Qassem Saadedine, the group’s spokesman said.
The head of the main civilian opposition group, the Syrian National Council, demonstrated similar confidence.
“This is the final phase. They will fall very soon. Today is a turning point in Syria’s history. It will put more pressure on the regime and bring an end very soon,” Abdelbasset Seida said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!