Syrian rebels threaten to turn to al Qaeda
Damascus: A Syrian rebel commander has warned Western leaders to give them more help to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime or, they will forge an alliance with al Qaeda.
Abu Ammar, who is currently fighting with the troops loyal to Assad in the city of Aleppo, warned that his forces are struggling to cope.
“We don`t want al Qaeda here, but if nobody else helps us, we will make an alliance with them,” the Daily Mail quoted Ammar, as saying.
“And you can bet if al Qaeda comes here, they will brainwash the people. If al Qaeda enters Aleppo, the city will become their base within three months,” he added.
The Iraqi government has confirmed that al Qaeda fighters have been crossing from Iraq into Syria to carry out attacks on government forces.
The US officials also believe that al Qaeda might well be responsible for a string of recent suicide bombings in Syria.
Testifying before the Senate Armed Services, US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said the blasts in Syrian cities since last December ``had all the earmarks of an al Qaeda-like attack``.
Meanwhile, opposition groups in Syria have frequently called on a divided and deadlocked international community to act to halt Assad`s campaign of repression against a peaceful uprising that is now an armed insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India