Syrian refugees may double or triple this year: UN official
London: The United Nations has warmed that the number of refugees from Syria may double or even triple this year if the two-year-old bloody uprising does not end.
UN`s refugee chief Antonio Guterres warned of the "risk of an explosion" across the Middle East if the crisis continued much longer.
Guterres told reporters in Ankara that if the no decision is taken to end the Syrian crisis then there would be a much larger number of refugees-twice or three times the present level, the BBC reports.
According to the report, the UN believes that as many as 70,000 people have died in the two-year conflict.
Over a million Syrians have now been registered as refugees by the UN in neighbouring countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what