Syrian tanks pound Homs after Army defections
Amman: Syrian tanks pounded an old district in Homs on Saturday in one of the heaviest barrages since the military intensified an assault on the central city two weeks ago to crush protests and a nascent insurgency, residents said.
Several Army deserters took refuge in the district of Bab Amro the day before, adding to hundreds who had already defected, they said. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said initial reports indicated that one person was killed and at least five injured in the attack.
The tanks were firing anti-aircraft guns, which the military is using to hit ground targets, and heavy machineguns, residents and activists said. A Youtube video purportedly showed at least one building on fire.
The Syrian human rights group Sawasiah said the military assault on Homs had killed at least 300 civilians in the last 10 days, with 30,000 inhabitants arrested since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad and his family`s 41 year rule erupted in March.
Assad, who belongs to the minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi`ite Islam, has repeatedly said he was using legitimate means to confront foreign-backed militants bent on fomenting sectarian strife. Syria is mostly Sunni Muslim.
The authorities say the military operation is designed to cleanse Homs of "armed terrorist groups." The authorities have banned independent media from Homs and the rest of the country, making independent confirmation of events impossible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border