Syrian troops fire at protesters after prayers
Beirut: Syrian security forces opened fire on anti-government protests after Friday prayers at several locations around the country while the Army sent reinforcements into the tense south where military defectors have recently launched deadly attacks on regime troops.
The Local Coordination Committees and the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said one person was killed in the shooting in the restive central city of Homs, and a man who was wounded in the southern province of Daraa earlier in the day died his wounds.
The Observatory said more than 200,000 people marched in different neighborhoods of Homs, denouncing President Bashar Assad`s regime. The turnout could not be confirmed as Syrian authorities have banned most journalists from covering events on the ground.
The Observatory also reported shooting near a mosque in the eastern city of Deir el-Zour but it was unclear if there were casualties there.
The LCC said anti-government rallies took place after Friday prayers all across Syria — from Daraa to the suburbs of the capital Damascus, in Homs and Hama in the country`s center, and to the north, in the city of Aleppo.
The protests came a day after Syrian army defectors killed 27 government forces in Daraa in apparently coordinated attacks that were among the deadliest by rebel troops so far.
Syria has seen a sharp escalation in armed clashes recently, raising concerns the country of 22 million is headed toward civil war. The UN raised its death toll for the Syrian uprising substantially this week, saying more 5,000 people have been killed since the revolt began.
The LCC said troops deployed in different areas in Daraa on Friday, and that electricity was cut in several locations. Daraa, where the uprising began, has been among the most tense regions in Syria.
Because of the turmoil, Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said Thursday Canadians living in Syria should leave as soon as possible while commercial flights are still available. Washington issued a similar warning for U.S. citizens in September.
At the United Nations in New York, Russia began circulating a draft Security Council resolution Thursday it said was designed to resolve the conflict in Syria. The draft calls for an end to all violence.
Russia has criticized opponents of Assad`s rule for employing violent tactics. Western nations said the Russian draft did not go far enough, because it contained no sanctions against the regime.
Assad, who inherited power from his father in 2000, has denied issuing orders to kill protesters. But New York-based Human Rights Watch said Thursday that dozens of military commanders and officials authorized or gave direct orders for widespread killings and torture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow