Syrian troops fire on funeral in east: Activists
Beirut: Activists say Syrian government troops have fired live ammunition to disperse mourners gathered for the funeral of an activist in the country`s east.
There was no immediate word on casualties from Sunday`s shooting in the city of Deir el-Zour.
The activist, Ziad al-Obeidi, was shot dead on Saturday. He worked for the British-based Observatory for Human Rights in Syria and had been in hiding since troops stormed the city two months ago.
Observatory director Rami Abdul-Rahman said some 7,000 people calling for the downfall of President Bashar Assad took part in Sunday`s funeral procession.
Abdul-Rahman and other activists said security forces also stormed areas near the capital Damascus and were carrying out house-to-house arrests as part of efforts to suppress the resilient anti-government uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?