Syrian troops recapture 5 strategic towns near Lebanese borders
Beijing: The Syrian troops reseized five towns in central strategic Homs province near the borders with Lebanon and repelled rebels attack against a military airport, killing over 100 militants, the pro-government al-Watan daily said Sunday.
After "heavy blow," the army recaptured several rebel-held towns around the town of al-Qussair in the Homs province, the paper said.
Also, the Syrian army ambushed rebels trying to storm the al- Daba`a airfield near al-Qussair, killing more than 100 of them.
Quoting sources, the paper said that about 500 rebels waged an attack against the base to control it, but they were taken by surprise by a barrage of fire by the army, which killed over 100 rebels and drove out others.
In the northern city of Aleppo, the paper said that cleansing the road of the international airport of Aleppo would end within the next few days.
Meanwhile, other local media reports revealed that the Syrian troops managed to roundup a total of 280 rebel fighters during its recent military operations in suburbs of the capital Damascus, adding that 41 of those arrested were non-Syrians.
The exiled opposition groups called on the "capable countries" to bomb out the Syrian ballistic rockets` launchers, contending that the administration of President Bashar al-Assad is firing ballistic missiles against populated areas in the northern region.
The opposition`s demand came during a meeting of the so-called "Friends of Syria" group. The opposition also asked its western patrons to impose a no-fly zone on Syria to "facilitate the safe return of Syrian refugees."
However, the western powers have shown little appetite for involving militarily in Syria, offering instead a package of non- lethal aid to the opposition fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL