Syrian troops retake large parts of key military base
Damascus: Syrian troops have recaptured "large swathes" of the Brigade 80 military base which was overrun by rebels in February in the northern city of Aleppo, activists said Friday.
The base, which is responsible for securing the adjacent international airport of Aleppo, has been witnessing "intense clashes" since early Friday morning between the Syrian troops backed by pro-government militiamen and several rebel groups, including the al Qaeda-linked The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Xinhua reported.
The army troops pushed into the base and wrested back control over large portions, prompting the rebels to call for reinforcements. Local media said the rebels lost at least 15 fighters in the fighting.
The report added that the Syrian troops were shelling the rebel positions in the areas surrounding Aleppo airport as clashes were still going on inside the base.
The latest development came a day after the Syrian troops said they had dislodged the rebels from a key cluster of towns in the southern countryside of Damascus.
With this, the Syrian army has managed to considerably shrink the rebel presence in the vicinity of Damascus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing