Syrian troops retake large parts of key military base
Damascus: Syrian troops have recaptured "large swathes" of the Brigade 80 military base which was overrun by rebels in February in the northern city of Aleppo, activists said Friday.
The base, which is responsible for securing the adjacent international airport of Aleppo, has been witnessing "intense clashes" since early Friday morning between the Syrian troops backed by pro-government militiamen and several rebel groups, including the al Qaeda-linked The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Xinhua reported.
The army troops pushed into the base and wrested back control over large portions, prompting the rebels to call for reinforcements. Local media said the rebels lost at least 15 fighters in the fighting.
The report added that the Syrian troops were shelling the rebel positions in the areas surrounding Aleppo airport as clashes were still going on inside the base.
The latest development came a day after the Syrian troops said they had dislodged the rebels from a key cluster of towns in the southern countryside of Damascus.
With this, the Syrian army has managed to considerably shrink the rebel presence in the vicinity of Damascus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!