Syrian troops storm protest sit-in near Damascus
Damascus: Syrian activists say security troops have stormed a protest sit-in near the capital Damascus, arresting about 200 people in the midnight raid.
The activists say up to 4,000 people were demonstrating in the town of Douma near Damascus when, around midnight Friday, electricity was cut and the protesters came under attack. The activists spoke on condition of anonymity fearing reprisals.
The raid capped a day of a relentless government crackdowns on protesters across Syria as one of Mideast`s most repressive regimes sought to quell demonstrations that exploded nationwide demanding reform.
The state-run news agency, meanwhile, said on Saturday that an armed group attacked an officers` club in the city of Homs the previous day, killing one person and wounding others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter