‘Syrian uprising just like London riots’
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s father-in-law has compared the uprising in the Islamic country to the last year’s London riots and questioned why British Prime Minister David Cameron did not deploy troops as Assad did.
“When the London riots burst out and Cameron said he would get the Army out, now would you compare that to Homs?” Dr Fawaz Akhras said during an interview with The Telegraph when asked about his son-in-law’s brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protestors.
“What would you do? Just watch them killing you? You have a responsibility to ensure the security of your people,” he added.
According to the report, when told that the British authorities had dealt with the riots without killing anyone, Dr Akhras replied that ‘we are not as sophisticated as the Metropolitan Police or Scotland Yard.’
He said that the figure of 7,000 dead in Syria was “much better” than the death toll in Libya, where a Western-supported military intervention and civil war caused as many as 50,000 deaths.
Dr Akhras, a cardiologist, also said that Assad’s wife, Asma was “strong, and he talks to her often”.
Dr Akhras has been a key figure in liaison between the Syrian and British governments.
He is the founder and co-chairman of the British-Syrian Society, set up in 2003 to “strengthen relations at all levels” between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested