Syrian warplanes bomb rebellious Damascus suburbs
Beirut: Syrian fighter jets on Sunday bombed Damascus suburbs as part of a government offensive to dislodge rebels from strategic areas around the capital, activists said, as clashes raged around army bases and air fields in the country`s north.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said warplanes were hitting towns and villages around the capital, including Kfar Batna and Gesereen, while regime forces targeted other neighborhoods with artillery and mortars.
It also said regime troops were battling rebels in the suburb of Daraya a day after government officials claimed the army had taken much of the strategic area, which lies on the edge of a major military air base southwest of the capital.
In northern Syria, government forces were fighting rebels over an air base and the international airport of the city of Aleppo, which includes a military base.
Syrian troops have been pushing since November to regain Daraya, which had a population of about 200,000 before the fighting.
Observatory director Rami Abdul-Rahman said government troops now control more than half of the suburb, which has been a stronghold of support for the rebels since the start of the uprising against President Bashar Assad began in March 2011.
Because of its strategic location, rebel control of the Daraya poses a particularly grave threat to the capital.
The suburb is flanked by the key districts of Mazzeh, which is home to the military air base of the same name, and Kfar Sousseh, which holds the government headquarters, the General Security intelligence agency head office and the Interior Ministry. It also is less than 10 kilometers (six miles) from a presidential palace.
While Assad`s loyalists appear to have an upper hand in the Damascus front due to the regime`s airpower, the rebels dealt the government a major blow in the north by capturing a sprawling air base in Idlib province on Friday.
Rebels retained control of the Taftanaz base today and intensified their assault on the Mannagh air base and the international airport in Aleppo, the country`s largest city, activists said.
Among the rebels taking part in the battle are fighters from Jabhat al-Nustra, an Islamist group that the US has branded a terrorist organisation. Washington claims the group, which has been among the most organised and effective rebel forces on the ground, is affiliated with al-Qaeda.
Syrian official statements regularly play up the role of Islamist extremists in the civil war and refer to the rebels as terrorists.
More than 60,000 people have been killed since the revolt started almost two years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor