Syrians evacuated from Homs reveal eating worms, cats
Washington: Syrians stuck in the besieged city of Homs have been evacuated.
The evacuees, who fled in a UN-brokered cease-fire, which was extended for three days Thursday, have described being driven to desperation to eat leaves, foraged plants, cats and earthworms.
According to the Washington Post, Abu Nizar, 72, who lived all his life in the Old City, fled with the first batch of evacuees a week ago.
Nizar said that he was forced to eat worms, it was so disgusting, but they had to eat.
The opposition has accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of using starvation as a weapon of war.
The United Nations has said as many as 200,000 civilians are living under siege across the country.
Another evacuee, Abu Jalal Tilawi, said that he had been forced to kill and eat cats out of starvation.
About half of the 2,500 civilians that were estimated to be trapped in the Old City have been evacuated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch