Syria`s Assad faces Gaddafi`s fate: Israel
Halifax: Syria`s President has reached "a point of no return" and faces the same fate as former despots in Libya and Iraq, Israeli Defence Minister
Ehud Barak has said.
"I think that he went beyond the point of no return, no way that he will he resume his authority or legitimacy," Barak told a defence summit, predicting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime could fall within months under growing international pressure.
"And it`s clear to me that what happened a few weeks ago to Gaddafi... and what happened ultimately to Saddam Hussein, now might await him," he said yesterday.
Former Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi was killed on October 20 when forces of Libya`s new regime captured his hometown of Sirte. Saddam Hussein was hanged in December 2006 after being sentenced for the deaths of 148 Iraqi Shi’ites deaths in the early 1980s.
The UN says a crackdown in Syria has killed more than 3,500 people since mid-March.
Across the country yesterday, at least 17 people were killed, according to activists, as an Arab League deadline for Damascus to stop its lethal crackdown on dissent was set to expire.
Syria has been told by its Arab peers to stop the lethal repression against protesters by midnight (local time) on yesterday or risk sanctions, and the Arab League has already suspended it from the 22-member bloc.
With rebel troops inflicting mounting losses on the regular Army, Turkey and the United States both raised the spectre of civil war and Russia called for restraint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer