Syria’s Assad must stop violence: UN chief
Soma City: UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Monday renewed his appeal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to stop the violence against civilians after reports of a new military crackdown just a day earlier.
Ban, speaking to reporters in northeast Japan, said that he had delivered a strong message to Assad in a phone conversation on Saturday ahead of his report on Syria to the Security Council due on August 10.
"I hope he takes that situation very seriously and takes necessary measures respecting the will of the people," the UN Secretary General said when asked about latest signs that Assad continued to defy international pressure.
Residents of a Syrian provincial capital Deir al-Zor said government tanks stormed the city on Sunday, in the latest crackdown on five-month protests against President Bashar al-Assad`s rule. Activists said 50 people had been killed in the attack, while the government denied the assault had taken place.
Syria has barred most journalists, making it hard to confirm events.
The military assault on Deir al-Zor, about 400 km (250 miles) north-east of Damascus, was launched a day after Ban`s conversation with the Syrian President.
Ban is visiting Japan`s northeast nearly five months after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake unleashed a deadly tsunami that killed more than 20,000 and triggered the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl 25 years ago.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor