Syria’s Assad regime on brink of collapse: NATO
Washington: Collapse of Syrian regime appears inevitable and defeat could be near for Syria`s embattled regime, the head of NATO has said.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said President Bashar al-Assad Government is "approaching collapse”.
“I think now it`s only a question of time. I urge the regime to stop violence, to realise what is the actual situation and initiate a process that leads to the accommodation of the legitimate aspirations of the Syrian people,” CNN quoted Rasmussen, as saying.
According to the report, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov also offered a similar view from Moscow, noting what he said were rebel reports that victory was imminent.
"We need to look the facts in the eye. Unfortunately, we can`t exclude a victory by the opposition,” he said.
Bogdanov’s comments seem to indicate Russia, Syria`s most powerful ally and protector, has apparently begun positioning itself for the fall of Assad.
His comments came as opposition groups said they had seized a military base near Damascus and amid calls by the Local Coordination Committees for rebels to push for the fall of the capital, the report said.
"We all know that the battle is not going to be easy and that the regime will defend its existence by the most brutal means, as we have become accustomed to seeing," the opposition group said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what