Syria`s leader a `humanist`: Venezuelan Prez
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez expressed support for Syria`s President on Saturday, calling him a "humanist" and a "brother" facing a wave of violent protests backed by the United States and its allies.
Chavez`s support for President Bashar Assad follows his defence of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, who is fighting rebels backed by international airstrikes.
Venezuela`s socialist leader accused Washington of fomenting the protests in Syria as a pretext for Libya-style airstrikes.
"Now some supposed political protest movements have begun (in Syria), a few deaths ... and now they are accusing the President of killing his people and later the Yankees will come to bomb the people to save them," Chavez said in a televised speech.
The anti-government protests erupted nationwide in Syria on Friday, and follow unrest in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain and Libya in what has been called the Arab Spring.
Chavez has developed close ties to Gaddafi and Assad over the years.
"How cynical is the new format the empire has invented, to generate violent conflict, generate blood in a country, to later bombard it, intervene and take over its natural resources and convert it into a colony," he said. Chavez often refers to the United States as the empire.
Chavez said he spoke to Assad late Friday and referred him as our "brother”.
Assad, who opponents have called a repressive autocrat, "is a humanist, doctor, educated in London, in no way an extremist; he is a man of great human sensitivity," said Chavez. "We salute him from here."
Syria`s administration has promised increased freedoms for discontented citizens and increased pay and benefits for state workers — a familiar package of incentives offered by other nervous Arab regimes in recent weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’