Taiwan does wildlife diplomacy with China
Beijing: Taiwan has gifted a pair of spotted deer and two serow goat-antelopes to China as both sides cuddle up to their wildlife diplomacy.
The pair of critically endangered Sika deer, named Fan Xing and Dian Dian, and the serows, named Xiyangyang and Leyangyang, were brought in a Boeing 737 jet.
The trip from Taiwan`s Taoyuan International Airport to China`s Weihai Airport took about two-and-a-half hours.
Over 480 kg of animal feed were packed to take on board, Xinhua reported.
The animals arrived at their new home in the Liugongdao National Forest Park in China`s eastern Shandong province Saturday afternoon. The park was launched in 1992.
A grand ceremony was held at the park to greet the animals. About 400 people attended.
Wang Peiting, secretary of the Weihai Municipal Committee, hailed the gift as a significant development.
China had earlier sent a pair of giant pandas, named Tuan Tuan and Yuan Yuan, to Taiwan in December 2008 as part of its efforts to improve bilateral ties.
Taipei Zoo director Jason Yeh said such exchanges between the two sides will help boost ties. "The cooperation between the two sides will pick up speed," he said.
Yuan Xueen, director of the Administration Commission of Liugongdao Island, said every effort will be made to ensure a healthy life for the gifted animals from Taiwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16