Taiwan ex-Naval officer arrested on spying charge
Taipei: Taiwan`s Defence Ministry says a retired Naval officer has been arrested on suspicion of spying for China.
A statement released by the ministry Monday says Chinese intelligence made contact with Cmdr Chang Chih-hsin through unidentified Taiwanese intermediaries.
The ministry denies media reports that Chang had leaked secretive submarine nautical charts or war plans to the Chinese.
The ministry says it was tipped off by informers. Authorities say they had investigated him even before his retirement, which newspaper reports say was in August.
Taiwan and China have spied on each other since the sides split amid civil war in 1949. Their espionage efforts have continued despite a marked decrease in tensions between them during the 4 and a half year administration of Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!