Taiwan has role in international aid: US official
Taipei: The visiting head of the US Agency for International Development says Taiwan has a role to play in helping Washington and other governments help disaster victims and the poor around the world.
USAID administrator Rajiv Shah met Friday with President Ma Ying-jeou. He also spoke with representatives from the foreign, health and defense ministries on finding ways to work together on issues including disaster response, health care, and global food security.
While the US transferred recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979, it maintains close ties with the democratic island and is its main source of foreign military assistance.
Shah is one of the most senior American officials to visit Taiwan in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth