Taiwan has role in international aid: US official
Taipei: The visiting head of the US Agency for International Development says Taiwan has a role to play in helping Washington and other governments help disaster victims and the poor around the world.
USAID administrator Rajiv Shah met Friday with President Ma Ying-jeou. He also spoke with representatives from the foreign, health and defense ministries on finding ways to work together on issues including disaster response, health care, and global food security.
While the US transferred recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979, it maintains close ties with the democratic island and is its main source of foreign military assistance.
Shah is one of the most senior American officials to visit Taiwan in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clinton attacks Trump's outreach to black voters in new ad
- Colombia ceasefire will not stop government fighting crime: Official
- Amazon dabbling with 30-hour work weeks: Report
- Enrique's fan hid in dressing room for 12 hours
- Scorpene submarine data leak: 'Whistleblower' to hand over disk to 'government'