Taiwan man jumps to death over `apocalypse warning`
Taipei: An elderly Taiwanese man leapt to his death apparently terrified by a `prediction` that the island would soon be destroyed by a giant quake and tsunami, police and media said on Friday.
The 70-year-old, who suffered from chronic depression, jumped from his fifth-floor home in a Taipei suburb on Thursday and died later in hospital, said an officer at a police station nearby.
His family said his condition had worsened after a 9.0-magnitude quake ravaged north-eastern Japan in March and a self-proclaimed local `prophet` alleged Taiwan too would be ruined by a quake and tsunami, the officer said.
`My hair is all white. I have so many worries,` he told his wife shortly before leaping from the balcony of their home, the United Daily News reported.
Taiwanese prosecutors have launched an investigation into the `prophet`, known to the public only as `Teacher Wang`, after his doomsday warning set off a rush to build makeshift shelters from cargo containers.
Prosecutors suspected he might be colluding with companies in the container industry, based on his claim that containers would be safer than regular buildings once the imminent catastrophe took place. More than 100 shelters converted from cargo containers are being built in Puli, a town in central Taiwan, after Wang `predicted` that a quake-induced monster wave would hit Taiwan on May 11, claiming millions of lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands