Taiwan man jumps to death over `apocalypse warning`
Taipei: An elderly Taiwanese man leapt to his death apparently terrified by a `prediction` that the island would soon be destroyed by a giant quake and tsunami, police and media said on Friday.
The 70-year-old, who suffered from chronic depression, jumped from his fifth-floor home in a Taipei suburb on Thursday and died later in hospital, said an officer at a police station nearby.
His family said his condition had worsened after a 9.0-magnitude quake ravaged north-eastern Japan in March and a self-proclaimed local `prophet` alleged Taiwan too would be ruined by a quake and tsunami, the officer said.
`My hair is all white. I have so many worries,` he told his wife shortly before leaping from the balcony of their home, the United Daily News reported.
Taiwanese prosecutors have launched an investigation into the `prophet`, known to the public only as `Teacher Wang`, after his doomsday warning set off a rush to build makeshift shelters from cargo containers.
Prosecutors suspected he might be colluding with companies in the container industry, based on his claim that containers would be safer than regular buildings once the imminent catastrophe took place. More than 100 shelters converted from cargo containers are being built in Puli, a town in central Taiwan, after Wang `predicted` that a quake-induced monster wave would hit Taiwan on May 11, claiming millions of lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick