Taiwan man jumps to death over `apocalypse warning`
Taipei: An elderly Taiwanese man leapt to his death apparently terrified by a `prediction` that the island would soon be destroyed by a giant quake and tsunami, police and media said on Friday.
The 70-year-old, who suffered from chronic depression, jumped from his fifth-floor home in a Taipei suburb on Thursday and died later in hospital, said an officer at a police station nearby.
His family said his condition had worsened after a 9.0-magnitude quake ravaged north-eastern Japan in March and a self-proclaimed local `prophet` alleged Taiwan too would be ruined by a quake and tsunami, the officer said.
`My hair is all white. I have so many worries,` he told his wife shortly before leaping from the balcony of their home, the United Daily News reported.
Taiwanese prosecutors have launched an investigation into the `prophet`, known to the public only as `Teacher Wang`, after his doomsday warning set off a rush to build makeshift shelters from cargo containers.
Prosecutors suspected he might be colluding with companies in the container industry, based on his claim that containers would be safer than regular buildings once the imminent catastrophe took place. More than 100 shelters converted from cargo containers are being built in Puli, a town in central Taiwan, after Wang `predicted` that a quake-induced monster wave would hit Taiwan on May 11, claiming millions of lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees