Taiwan man jumps to death over `apocalypse warning`
Taipei: An elderly Taiwanese man leapt to his death apparently terrified by a `prediction` that the island would soon be destroyed by a giant quake and tsunami, police and media said on Friday.
The 70-year-old, who suffered from chronic depression, jumped from his fifth-floor home in a Taipei suburb on Thursday and died later in hospital, said an officer at a police station nearby.
His family said his condition had worsened after a 9.0-magnitude quake ravaged north-eastern Japan in March and a self-proclaimed local `prophet` alleged Taiwan too would be ruined by a quake and tsunami, the officer said.
`My hair is all white. I have so many worries,` he told his wife shortly before leaping from the balcony of their home, the United Daily News reported.
Taiwanese prosecutors have launched an investigation into the `prophet`, known to the public only as `Teacher Wang`, after his doomsday warning set off a rush to build makeshift shelters from cargo containers.
Prosecutors suspected he might be colluding with companies in the container industry, based on his claim that containers would be safer than regular buildings once the imminent catastrophe took place. More than 100 shelters converted from cargo containers are being built in Puli, a town in central Taiwan, after Wang `predicted` that a quake-induced monster wave would hit Taiwan on May 11, claiming millions of lives.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!