Taiwan opposition party OKs leader`s resignation
Taipei: Taiwan`s main opposition party says it has accepted its chairwoman`s resignation following her defeat in weekend Presidential Elections.
The Democratic Progressive Party approved Tsai Ing-wen`s resignation at a Monday meeting. Tsai will stay on until the end of February while her successor is selected.
President Ma Ying-jeou was re-elected on Saturday, overcoming a strong Tsai challenge.
During the campaign Tsai adopted a more moderate posture than many pro-independence DPP partisans, insisting she wanted to work with China and would not roll back the economic agreements Ma signed with Beijing.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie