Taiwan receives two US early warning aircraft
Taipei: Taiwan received two upgraded early
warning aircraft from the United States on Saturday, the island`s
airforce said, as part of an arms deal that upset China-US
The arrival of the E-2K aircraft in southern Kaohsiung
city brings to four the number of such planes in Taiwan`s air
force, it said, after they were sent to the United States last
year for upgrades.
Taiwan acquired four E-2Ts in 1995 and added two E-2K, an
improved version of the Grumman Hawkeye series, in 2006.
A pair of E-2Ts were transported to the United States for
upgrading last month, as part of a USD 6.5 billion arms sale
agreed with Taiwan in 2008, which also included advanced
interceptor Patriot missiles, Apache attack helicopters and
Analysts say the E-2K -- an all-weather early warning and
control system platform with an upgraded radar, software,
avionics and propellers -- will further reduce warning time if
China launched an air attack on the island.
Ties between Taipei and Beijing have improved markedly
since Ma Ying-jeou of the China-friendly Kuomintang party came
to power in 2008 promising to boost trade links and allow more
Chinese tourists to visit the island.
But Beijing still sees Taiwan as part of its territory
awaiting reunification, by force if necessary, even though the
island has governed itself since 1949 at the end of a civil
China has repeatedly threatened to invade Taiwan should
the island declare formal independence, prompting Taipei to
seek more advanced weapons, largely from the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what