Taiwan to deploy cruise missiles: Lawmaker
Taipei: Taiwan plans to deploy its own
cruise missiles by the end of this year, a lawmaker and
military pundit said on Tuesday, reflecting continued tension with
China despite warming ties.
Taiwan began mass producing the Hsiungfeng 2E cruise
missiles after it acquired "key components" needed to
manufacture the missiles, and will start deploying them this
year, lawmaker Lin Yu-fang told AFP.
Lin, a member of the ruling Kuomintang party, declined to
specify the range of the missiles or the number to be put into
President Ma Ying-jeou gave an order in 2008 for the
production of 300 Hsiungfeng 2E cruise missiles, according to
the Taipei-based China Times.
The paper said Hsiungfeng 2E, which was developed by the
military-run Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology,
has a range of around 800 kilometres (500 miles).
The institute has spent 2.2 billion Taiwan dollars (68
million US) each year since 2000 on developing the missiles,
whose name means Brave Wind, and managed to expand its range
from 600 to 800 kilometres, it said.
The missile could be launched on land or at sea, the
paper said, adding that it would be capable of hitting
airports and missile bases in southeast China, as well as
cities such as Shanghai and Hong Kong.
China and Taiwan have been governed separately since the
end of a civil war in 1949, but Beijing views the island as
part of its territory awaiting reunification, by force if
The Pentagon said in an annual report to Congress earlier
this month that China`s military build-up against Taiwan has
"continued unabated" despite improving political relations.
China has repeatedly threatened to invade Taiwan should
the island declare formal independence.
However, tensions across the Taiwan Strait have eased
since Ma took office on a Beijing-friendly platform.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued