Taiwan`s ex-president appeals life sentence
Taipei: The office of Taiwan`s former president Chen Shui-bian says he has appealed a verdict sentencing him to life in prison on corruption charges.
Chen was found guilty on Friday of embezzling and receiving bribes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and laundering part of the money via Swiss bank accounts.
Under Taiwanese law, a life sentence is automatically appealed even if the defendant doesn`t appeal.
Chen has denied any wrongdoing and said he is being prosecuted by President Ma Ying-jeou for his anti-China views. Ma has denied it.
China and Taiwan split amid civil war in 1949, but Beijing continues to claim Taiwan as part of its territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!