Taiwan`s ex-VP Lien to meet Chinese leader Xi
Taipei: Taiwan`s former vice president Lien Chan is set to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing next week in the latest high-level talks between the two sides, it was announced on Friday.
Lien, an honorary chairman of Taiwan`s ruling Kuomintang (KMT) party, will discuss issues of mutual interest with Xi during a three-day visit to Beijing beginning Monday under the invitation of the Chinese side, Lien`s office said in a statement.
"Members of the delegation include people from various civilian sectors who will voice their expectations and suggestions on future cross-strait exchanges ... in the hope that China can directly understand and keep abreast of Taiwan`s public opinions," it said.
The visit comes hot on the heels of the first government-to-government talks between Taiwan and China since they split 65 years ago after a civil war.
Wang Yu-chi, Taiwan`s top official overseeing China policy, on Tuesday met his Chinese counterpart Zhang Zhijun in Nanjing in a symbolic yet historic move between the former bitter rivals.
Beijing still claims the self-ruled island as part of its territory awaiting reunification.
Lien became the first leader of the nationalist KMT party to visit China in 56 years when he met President Hu Jintao in 2005 to formally end hostilities with the communists. Last year, Lien met Xi in Beijing.
Ties with China have improved markedly since Ma Ying-jeou of the KMT became Taiwan`s president in 2008 on a Beijing-friendly platform. He was re-elected in 2012 for a final four-year term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark