Tajik opposition to challenge `unfair` poll in court
Dushanbe: Tajikistan`s embattled opposition
said today it would challenge in court the results of last
weekend`s legislative elections, after observers said they had
uncovered evidence of massive fraud.
The Islamic Renaissance Party (IRP) does not recognise
the legitimacy of the contest, which they said had been stolen
by President Emomali Rakhmon`s People`s Democratic Party,
party chief Muhiddin Kabiri told reporters.
"The election results, though preliminary, are unfair.
There was massive falsification. We find it hard to explain
this to our constituents," he said.
"We will take action within the laws of Tajikistan. The
Islamic Renaissance Party is the party of the people. We will
express our protest following the legal path in court."
Long-time leader Rakhmon`s party crushed the opposition,
winning 45 of the parliament`s 63 seats, with an additional
nine nominally independent seats going to local leaders seen
as loyal to the president.
The IRP netted just two seats, with the handful of other
seats also going to minority parties including the Communists.
But monitors from the Organisation for Security and
Cooperation in Europe said the poll failed to meet many basic
democratic commitments, and the US embassy in Dushanbe slammed
the elections as "beset by fraud."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof