Taliban office not named `Islamic Emirate`, says Qatar
Doha: The Taliban office opened in Doha to facilitate peace talks does not carry the name of the "Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan," as it appeared earlier, Qatar said on Wednesday.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai denounced as a provocation the use of the formal name of the Islamist movement`s government from 1996 until it was toppled in 2001.
"The office that was opened in Doha yesterday is the political office of the Taliban in Afghanistan, and is not the political office of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan," Qatar`s foreign ministry said, quoted by QNA state news agency.
"The official name agreed to open this office was the political office of the Taliban in Doha."
Taliban representatives and Qatari officials on Tuesday opened the office in Doha, in a ceremony that featured a large poster reading "the opening of the political office of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan in Doha".
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told AFP that the office was intended "to open dialogue between the Taliban and the world".
Kabul lashed out on Wednesday at the US efforts to broker a peace with the Taliban, suspending crucial talks with Washington and threatening to boycott prospective contacts with the group in Qatar.
Karzai`s spokesman Aimal Faizi told AFP there was a "contradiction between what the US government says and what it does regarding Afghanistan peace talks".
Officials said the row centred on the naming of the Taliban office.
"The opening of the Taliban office in Qatar, the way it was opened and messages it contained, contradicts the guarantees given by the US to Afghanistan," a statement from Kabul said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead