Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo agree to transfer
Kabul: Senior Afghan officials say five Taliban fighters held by the US in the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have agreed to a proposed transfer to the Gulf state of Qatar.
The transfer is meant as an incentive for the Taliban to participate in peace talks. The officials say the prisoners consented to the deal, which has not yet been approved by the US after a visit this past week by a delegation sent by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday because of the sensitivity of the issue.
Karzai initially opposed sending the prisoners to Qatar instead of Afghanistan. But the prisoners` consent could pave the way for a deal.
Several members of Congress have opposed their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical