Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo agree to transfer
Kabul: Senior Afghan officials say five Taliban fighters held by the US in the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have agreed to a proposed transfer to the Gulf state of Qatar.
The transfer is meant as an incentive for the Taliban to participate in peace talks. The officials say the prisoners consented to the deal, which has not yet been approved by the US after a visit this past week by a delegation sent by Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday because of the sensitivity of the issue.
Karzai initially opposed sending the prisoners to Qatar instead of Afghanistan. But the prisoners` consent could pave the way for a deal.
Several members of Congress have opposed their release.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Sensing tool 'SpiroCall' can measure your lung function over phone call
- WATCH & solve this IPL mystery - What's the connection between Zaheer Khan, Chris Morris and ‘Porcupine’?
- Manish Sisodia suspends govt school's vice principal over indiscipline
- Cops release suspect's sketch as public outrage grows in Kerala's 'Nirbhaya' case
- Flat belly diet: Include these 3 foods to burn fat fast!