Tanks deployed in Yemen as top Army general defects
Sana’a: Three Army commanders, including a top general, defected on Monday to the opposition calling for President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down as Army tanks and armoured vehicles deployed in the streets of the Yemeni capital.
The most senior of the three officers is Major General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, a longtime confidante of Saleh and commander of the Army`s powerful 1st Armoured Division. Units of the division deployed on Monday in a major square in Sana’a where protesters have been camping out to call for Saleh to step down.
All three officers belong to Saleh`s Hashid tribe, which called on Saleh to step down on Sunday — dealing his desperate attempts to cling on to power a serious blow.
The two others are Mohammed Ali Mohsen and Hameed al-Qusaibi, who both have the rank of brigadier.
News of the defections came one day after crowds flooded cities and towns across Yemen to mourn dozens of protesters killed on Friday when Saleh`s security forces opened fire from rooftops on a demonstration in Sana’a.
Al-Ahmar has been a close confidante to Saleh for most of the 32 years the Yemeni president has been in power. He is a veteran of the 1994 civil war that saw Saleh`s Army suppress an attempt by southern Yemen to secede four years after the two parts of the impoverished Arab nation united. The south had until then been a separate nation. Al-Ahmar also fought in recent years against Shi’ite rebels in the north of the country.
Al-Ahmar announced his defection in a message delivered by a close aide to the protest leaders at the Sana’a square that has for weeks been the epicentre of their movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read