Tanks storm central Syria town, 10 wounded: Witness
Amman: Tanks stormed the town of Talbiseh on Monday, a day after surrounding it, and at least 10 people were wounded, a resident said, in an expanding military campaign in central Syria to crush dissent against Baathist rule.
"Shelling began at five in the morning, concentrating on a hill in the middle of the town," said the witness, a resident of Talbiseh who managed to leave the town.
The Local Coordination Committees in Syria, which helps organise and document the protests, said the town of Tabliseh was bombed early Monday. It said snipers were deployed on roofs of mosques.
Syrian troops, backed by tanks, have been conducting operations in Tabliseh and the nearby towns of Rastan Teir Maaleh, in the central province of Homs, since Sunday.
Syria`s state-run news agency said four soldiers were killed and 14 wounded in Tabliseh.
Human rights groups say more than 1,000 people have been killed in the crackdown since an uprising against President Bashar Assad regime began in mid-March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured